Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Cheer

Christmas cheer is always in danger of becoming small around me.  I'm not sure what it is about Christmas that brings out the spurned lover feeling in me.  It's a really hard season for me, at times.  Well, the kids really help me to focus on what is important.  They help me to wait on the things I want, wait for those things to come later.  So, when I am in danger of letting my cheer become too small to recognize, I count all of my blessings.  I hold them close, with both hands.  I press them next to my heart, so when bad, sad, disappointing, heart breaking things crop up, I don't have a free hand available for holding.  Those things just have to pass by.
Lessons From the Bean
Of course the Bean set me to rights this year on Christmas morning as she so often does in my daily life.  She woke up this day, and excitedly made her way to the living room.  Still rubbing sleep from her eyes, she looked at the brightly lit tree, the rolling hills of gifts strategically placed under the tree, and was so filled with awe.   She was so excited!  At 3 and a half she thinks that Santa is real and I am happy to believe along with her.  I told her, as is tradition, we start with the stockings. She grabs hers, Disney princesses of course lol, and begins exploring.  Guess what her favorite gift of the day was?  The whole day?  A princess wand.  One that lights up, with a star shape on the top.  She looked at me later and said, "Mommy.  Hurry and open this, please.  I want to make you a princess." Yeah.  She wants to make me a princess.  Heart of gold that one. The thing that makes me realize I need to slow down and enjoy what leads up to this day more, is the fact that that wand, her favorite gift, was something I bought for $1.00.  lol...Christmas cheer...:)

She was actually just doing a puzzel, which she loves by-the-way, and just exclaimed, "I'm a genius!"  Oh.  My.



1 comment:

  1. I never knew why people get desperate for grandchildren till I had my own kid. The early years are incomparably precious and so brief.
    Your highness.

    ReplyDelete